"There is an Indian proverb that says that everyone is a house with four rooms. A physical, an emotional, a mental and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person."

Rumer Godden 1907 - 1998

Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Rediscovering

Monday was a really thought provoking day. I've made some substantial decisions about what I want to do and what I need to do. High on my list is a substantial need to rediscover of my artistic voice, The positive comments on my previous post about art I created about 10 years ago has given me much needed encouragement to find my creative voice again. Long live the blog!

I've literally only just discovered and joined Instagram, and when I saw this picture loaded by the Pitt Rivers Museum  my heart lurched and I knew I needed to know more. I have a thing about amulets and talismen, a big thing, as is evident from a selection of books taken off my bookshelves.


I love the superstitions that are woven in as they are created, the simple naive constructions though to complex silversmithing. I'm fascinated by the power to protect, to bring good luck and to hold magical properties that's attributed to these small objects by their owners. I even have my own; a very small Turkish eye bead intended to deflect the evil eye attached to the small purse I keep my travelling knitting notions in:



In 2013 we embarked on a project to make a very steep garden a useable space. During the course of digging out terraces and shifting many tons of earth we discovered a treasure trove of small objects. Handling and setting out these small items in groups is inspiring, most are everyday things, quite often only small pieces of larger things, nonetheless these fragments inspire me:



All my work used to start with some form of inspiration, a bit of research, then some drawing. Fairly standard art practise, my next rediscovery has to be how to get from inspiration such as the Pitt Rivers amulet and my found objects to a piece of textile work.

A good place to start would actually be a knitting book,  a pad of squared paper, a pencil, fine-liner and a few coloured pencils.


4 comments:

Sadie said...

Oh, that's such a wonderful idea for making use of Felix's technique! I look forward to seeing what it becomes.

The Sampler Girl said...

I love art museums and find loads of inspiration walking through them. When I am missing 'something' I go there and envelope in all the genres of art and feel so welcome.

Kate said...

I LOVE those glass bottles!

Delusional Knitter said...

Those are some great finds you unearthed!

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment, I do read all the comments made and appreciate the time you've spent reading my blog and making your comments.