"There is an Indian proverb that says that everyone is a house with four rooms. A physical, an emotional, a mental and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person."

Rumer Godden 1907 - 1998

Sunday, 8 September 2013

A Hint of Autumn

There's been a hint of autumn in the air this week, the mornings have either been bright and crisp or a bit misty, the days have been dry and warm and the evenings clear. On Thursday evening DH and I had what we feel will be our last barbecue of the year, we lit our chiminea and sat out late, looking at the stars via the Sky View app and talking about the next stages of our garden plans. Autumn always induces a new more energetic creativity, I want to make preserves, work on my quilting projects, knit and crochet. I'm even starting to think about the holiday season!

My new crochet blankets are growing far more quickly than I thought they would. The latest changes to the garden mean there are lots of places to sit and discuss what we're doing and look at what we've done so far. While we're talking I crochet a few more stitches, first up the Neat Ripple Blanket, I can't believe how much this has grown since I posted about it last week.


Next, my Granny Stripe, this is the design that prompted me to dig some acrylic out of my "giveaway" stash. I'm aiming for a kingsize blanket that I can take out and about without being precious about it.


I had a week of re-organising my profile and project pages on Ravelry this week. I finally sorted out why my blogposts didn't show up and I put the vast majority of wips into hibernation. The latter was supposed to focus me on a small number of wips, instead I'm finding new projects to start. I suspect what's going on is my annual push towards using about 6 miles of yarn this year. My stash contains 78.16 miles, which for me is almost exactly 13 years worth of knitting, and why I've been yarn purchase free for 9 months now. I'll be starting at least one more new project today...

The garden is looking very different after 4 days work on it this week, all but two of our 5 terraces are now visible, even if the walls are incomplete. The shape of the garden makes it hard to take a single photo that takes in everything:




This week we have 11 tons of good topsoil arriving so that we can start to level the soil on the top two terraces, we can't put in the final two terraces until that's done as we'd lose the slope for getting a wheel barrow to the top of the garden. After that we'll need our Albanian builders back for another day or so to put in the final two terraces as we have a lovely greenhouse on order for the area just below the final wall in the last picture.

13 comments:

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

We've had autumn hints too, it's been cold and rainy! :( The yard is looking great, I'm loving seeing how it progresses.

And love the blankets, they look really cheerful and bright

kim said...

Love your crochet blankets, especially the Neat Ripple one, it looks so cosy. That looks like such a big garden, the terraces will look fab when finished.

kim said...

Love your crochet blankets, especially the Neat Ripple one, it looks so cosy. That looks like such a big garden, the terraces will look fab when finished.

Christine said...

We have had similar fall-type weather too... I love the cool evenings.
Blankets are always fun... And yours look awesome!

Christine said...

We have had similar fall-type weather too... I love the cool evenings.
Blankets are always fun... And yours look awesome!

mysparemoments.com said...

Autumn seems to have hit us here in Ireland this past few days also and I'm looking forward to the season. Lovely blankets, the colours work so well together.

Kepanie said...

How further exciting how your garden is taking more shape. I so love your granny stripe blanket!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Your blankets are looking lovely already. How great that you can already spend some time enjoying your garden while work continues :)

Sam I Am...... said...

Your blankets are turning out wonderfully and I am so impressed with your garden and terracing. I love gardening too. Your color choices for your blankets are so pretty!

Sam I Am...... said...

Your blankets are turning out wonderfully and I am so impressed with your garden and terracing. I love gardening too. Your color choices for your blankets are so pretty!

Ylva said...

We can feel autumn coming here too.. Mornings are really cold although it's still hot around lunch! Autumn really is a season for organising, cleaning and making the home more "home-y" :)

aknitwithacake said...

The blankets are looking great - just in time for Autumn. I love the preserving season myself - used up some of our tomatoes for chutney and made loads of bramble jelly at the weekend.
The garden is coming on nicely:-)

Jen said...

Your garden is a huge inspiration ! I live on a very sloped hillside, and am getting ideas from your photos. :) Mine is a knitting garden of sorts...

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment, I do read all the comments made and appreciate the time you've spent reading my blog and making your comments.