"There is an Indian proverb that says that everyone is a house with four rooms. A physical, an emotional, a mental and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person."

Rumer Godden 1907 - 1998

Sunday, 14 July 2013

Startitus

My knitting year has a rhythm all of its own. I'm not one for holiday gift knitting or knitting along with major sports events other than the Olympics. I knit for me.

Every year at some point between May and September, I get startitus. I'm not talking about casting on a handful of projects. This year I'm talking about casting on 11 projects at a rate of 1 or 2 a week since the end of May, and I'm still at it! I have at least 4 more projects lined up in my head waiting to go and I'm now at the point where I'm starting stealing needles and interchangeable tips from other older projects to satisfy my startitus.

September and October sees the start of the frogging season, which will involve me going through all my cast on projects and selecting those that I've started in a moment of knitting madness and frogging them.

In November I suddenly realise I'm going to end the year with lots of WIPs, and I want a clean slate, so finishing projects becomes the order of the day and I work like fury on what is cast on in the vain hope that the "big four" that pre-date the start of 2013 will miraculously complete themselves so I can have a clean slate. Sadly my normal tactics for achieving this are to work the smallest projects or those closest to completion, this year one of the "big four' might make it into that category:


This beauty, designed by my friend Felix and knitted in Toft Alpaca is a scarf for DH. When I run out of one of the two dark colours it'll be time to put on the top garter border and work garter borders on each side. I'm getting very close to using the dark colours up. Maybe I start 2014 with "big 3" instaed of "big four".

I do also finish projects; Unsinkable, is done and looking great. I'd really recommend it as a pattern to showcase a single skein of luscious fingering yarn. Kristen Kapur has done a great job with the design.


14 comments:

aknitwithacake said...

Unsinkable is fabulous! I don't think my head could hold that many projects!! Good luck :)

Keri said...

I think I may have to add Unsinkable to my list! I love it.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Love your unsinkable! Pooled like that it really does look "watery" :) Now I have to think about my knitting year ... I like the idea of having a 'frogging season'!

Carolina22 said...

Love your Unsinkable! The color is gorgeous! Also great idea to have a "frogging season".

mysparemoments.com said...

Unsinkable is just fabalous well done and I just love how your knitting year has season's, I think my most favourite season would be startitis.

Marsha said...

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH, Unsinkable is so pretty. Love the color and the pattern really shows it off.

Sam I Am...... said...

How much fun is starting!?!?! I love it....like a "fresh" start. I love the scarf you're making. It looks a bit intricate for my humble skills but it's those items that keep me reaching and practicing and frogging.
The shawl is stunning! The color is almost electric it is so vibrant. You should be proud of that one!

nauget bluff said...

Sometimes I wish there was a quick pill to take to cure startitis..perhaps an anonymous 12 step group...

nauget bluff said...

There ought to be a anonymous 12 step self help program for startitis... I'd probably end up cheating..

Angela at Knit Luck said...

Ooo the Unsinkable is quite lovely. I need to add that one to my queue!

Kim said...

Wow! That is a lot of wips--I start to hyperventilate when I have only 3 or 4! I sure do love Unsinkable--and wonder how large it stretches out. I really am not in the mood for any more shawlettes--
*smiles*

Kepanie said...

I like how your DH wears your fiber work. I like how you mentioned this shawl pattern, especially that it only takes one skein of fingering.

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

Unsinkable is lovely, and I LOVE the scarf for your DH, it is gorgeous, you have to finish it!

I don't know how you deal with that many WIPs at once, I only have two, and that's quite enough for me, I get a bit uncomfortable when I get to three or four.

stylva said...

Now I have a name for my ailment.. statitus! Thank you :)
Sounds like a nice rhythm for a year too :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment, I do read all the comments made and appreciate the time you've spent reading my blog and making your comments.