"There is an Indian proverb that says that everyone is a house with four rooms. A physical, an emotional, a mental and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person."

Rumer Godden 1907 - 1998

Sunday, 28 July 2013

Knitting as Normal

I've had a good two weeks away from work.

A grand day out with a friend, we visited a lovely stately home Wilton House, now how’s this for a coincidence… My friend lives in a village called Hambleden and used to work for the family of Viscount Hambleden, whose mother Lady Patricia was born at Wilton House. Lady Patricia’s home when she first married was a house called Greenlands which is the site of Henley Business School where I work!

The plants I showed off last week are now all planted, and I've had compliments from a couple of neighbours I know by sight. I get the feeling many of my neighbours regarded what I've replaced as an eyesore! All the pictures were taken using my iPad which washes out the colours somewhat.





My knitting hasn't been neglected either, 2013 is my year of knitting freedom. I like having lots of WIPs,  so I'm going to stop worrying about needing to have any kind of annual WIP down. Other people's stress abut WIPs isn't mine. My only rules for this year are to knit from stash and to try and use my library, more about this later.

Progress this month:

WIPs at end June: 14
Completed: 1
Cast-on: 9
Hibernating: 3
Total projects: 27

Yarn out of stash: 494 yards
Completed Unsinkable, there's a post about this a couple of weeks ago. Yarn used 440 yards
One skein of Super Bulky yarn, that I will never use in a month of Sunday's, destashed. Yarn lost 54 yards

Sweet Dreams for the Pick-a-Boo KAL, on final chart, 12 rows to work.  My Ravelry link is here, this lovely shawl has been a quick knit from one of my favourite designers. If I was a monogamous knitter it would be done, I'm going to see if I can complete this by the end of Tuesday, its unlikely but worth a try:


Passion Flowers for the Maiden Brooklyn Summer KAL, another of my favourite designers, link here. I've still got a month left on this KAL so I'm feeling positive I'll get this completed. Marissa's designs need a lot of concentration so this is not a knit for days when I'm feeling tired or want to work in a hurry:


I'm "designing" a shawl in the loosest sense of the word following Stephen West's Craftsy class "Shawlscapes". Essentially this is applying Stephen's increase and decrease methods to some knitting!
Here's mine so far:



I haven't really been interested in knitting socks for about 18 months, so I was really pleased to find my sock knitting mojo has returned unexpectedly this week. I have a lot of sock books on my knitting shelf from which I've knitted very few projects so I was delighted to rediscover "Socktopus: 17 pairs of socks worth showing off". There's a Ravelry group working on the designs during 2013/14, I've missed the first two KALs, one of which is a vanilla sock which wouldn't capture my interest, the other one I'll make a project bag up for and fit in when I have the inclination. My first sock for this KAL is Spring Shoots:


Finally, a sock that only needs me to be able to count, Short Row Shuffle. Deliberately chosen to help me use some of the many highly variegated yarn bought as part of sock yarns clubs that is sitting in my stash. This project will be ideal knitting for those times when concentrating on a pattern becomes a bit much:


Back to work tomorrow, knit night on Tuesday and quilt group on Wednesday. It's going to be a good week!

13 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

A Spring Shoots ... love your yarn choice and now I want to see how your cutting goes! I did do the Totally Vanilla socks, mostly to see if all the sizing advice worked. It really does. I discovered that I prefer socks on 2mm needles with 64-68 sts.

mysparemoments.com said...

Love the projects and your garden is going to look fantastic when done. Love the sock's to in particualr.

Marsha said...

Your garden is so nice. Lots of lovely colors in there.

The socks are great I really like both patterns and will love watching them grow.

Carolina22 said...

Love your sock colors - they are so bright and cheery :)

aknitwithacake said...

I love the colours of your shawls - I'm a bit of a blue fiend! I have heard a lot of people talking about socktopus, and since socks are something I would like to master, I may have to invest in it!

kepanie said...

Your garden is looking wonderful. Too bad if they thought it an eyesore. Gardening is hard work.
You are an adventurous shawl knitter. The sock projects look fun.

Kim said...

You do have a great week a head of you! Everything in this post is lovely...the cheery socks, the gorgeous shawls and the garden! Oh my, but your garden makes me a bit jealous. :)
*smiles*

stylva said...

I just love your way of handling WIPs and the idea of knitting (or in my case crocheting) freedom. Why stress over something that should just be fun, really!

Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said...

Lovely projects and your colours are always so pretty. Good luck with getting your shawl finished. I am sooooo behind with mine now!

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

The shawls look great, and I'm sensing a blue theme there! And I love the yellow and blue socks.

And knitting is a hobby, I agree that you shouldn't have to follow anyone's rules but your own! If you want to have lots of WIPs, there are no knitting police to say you shouldn't

Angela at Knit Luck said...

Holy cow there's a lot on your knitting plate. Love your sense of color. That Stephen West shawl class looks like fun! Maybe I'll go check it out!

Sam I Am...... said...

Your garden is so pretty...mine is full of weeds but it's too hot to go out there! LOL! Does your shawl have beads in it? Gorgeous! I agree with the WIPs theory...I love having lots to choose from depending on mood, t.v., energy level, time available etc.. I need projects for kinds of moods and situations....the more choices the better!
The socks are really pretty..I can't wait to start knitting some pretty sock yarn...I'm still "practicing". Enjoy your fun week!

Vicki Yelland-Browning said...

wow the colours in all of your projects are all stunning - I love the range!!! Have a knitty weekend xx

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment, I do read all the comments made and appreciate the time you've spent reading my blog and making your comments.