My j(h)elly roll blocks have been a challenge since I started them, first it was the uneven strips and lack of variety in the jelly roll. Since then I worked out I've used both my machines to piece it, so my 1/4" seams might not be the same. The result was a pile of strangely shaped blocks, which looked worse the more I pieced together.
This week I spotted that a swastika motif appearing when I joined 4 of the 6" blocks together. I know it's lucky in some cultures, I want to avoid it. The lack of precise piecing meant that there's no way I could disguise this motif, even with some heavy FMQ.
Taking the directions for "pieced irregular checkerboards" from the book, I cut squares from the fabric that was originally intended to make the borders. These were layered with the j(h)elly blocks, cut into a variety of widths, the strips were rearranged and then pieced to create two new blocks.
The new blocks were again layered, cut, strips cut, re-arranged and pieced to give two much smaller, altogether more attractive blocks. The transformation is amazing, my rather lack-lustre original blocks are now bright and beautiful.