"There is an Indian proverb that says that everyone is a house with four rooms. A physical, an emotional, a mental and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room everyday, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person."

Rumer Godden 1907 - 1998

Monday, 10 September 2012

Location, Location, Location

The North Wessex Downs stretches across Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire and Hampshire, it was designated an "Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty" in 1972. And I get to call it my home!

The village I live in is a far cry from my previous home in the very busy Thames Valley, I look out of the house to see fields and an agricultural landscape. The nearest towns are between 8 and 12 miles away, the village has a very distinct feel to it, due to the number of racing yards and stables in the area. It's said there are 6, 000 inhabitants of which 2,000 are horses.

My house occupies an elevated position over the village with a beautiful view of roofs, windows and the far side of the valley in the distance. Even though I've only been here for a couple of months, I'm already using drawn and photographed images of the view below as subject matter for my sketchbook and embroideries.



For me to produce authentic art it really is all about location, location, location, having inspiration on my doorstep gives me the opportunity to look closely at what's around me, as soon as I'm done with one image another will present itself. I'm not constrained by needing to drive for miles to find the perfect picture, I can grab my house keys, camera, sketchbook and pens and walk down the drive, along the lane and out of the village. If I'm really feeling lazy I just go out in the garden, point the camera and shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting a comment, I do read all the comments made and appreciate the time you've spent reading my blog and making your comments.